Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Parthenon Marbles





I think the Parthenon Marbles is very unique and has interesting features. The location of the Parthenon Marbles I find really odd and I don’t believe it should be in the British museum. It’s not where it originated and I think it should take part of its history where it belongs. Maybe even split some for the British and then the rest in Athens. But I really think it’s important that at least some of the Marbles be moved back to its original homeland. It would make a very interesting story if later on, the marbles were split into two different countries. It is said that the reason the Marble statues were moved is because they wanted to rescue them, but I don't think it's fair that they were moved to a completely different country.
         I believe the Greeks took pride in their work and for the British to take some of these characteristics away, I think it’s an insult to them. They shouldn’t be changed just to look beautiful, it’s about history and the meaning behind the piece. I think that it’s problematic that the British encourages aesthetics over historical context because it’s original value makes it that much more important.  Sometimes it’s about the deep meaning behind the pieces rather than on beauty. Lots of art pieces are not very beautiful but the meaning of them makes you want to appreciate them more. Having the Marbles in the British Museum would not have as much meaning as it would if it were back in Athens, Greece.
         I think that the Marbles should be moved back because Its such an important part of art history that it only makes sense for it to be in its original area. If the British are concerned with aesthetic art pieces, why don’t they re-new the Parthenon Marbles with modern technology and put the copy in the British Museum and return the Marbles back to their home.  

5 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts! Do you personally find the Parthenon marbles to be beautiful, or do you tend to find them more significant because of their history? From what I gather in your post, you are more interested in history than aesthetics, as least in this instance.

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a different opinion about where the marbles belong so it was interesting to hear about another opinion on the subject. I think you voiced your opinion pretty well. Do you think Athens has a proper place for these marbles now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree what you said that it should take part of its history where it belongs. I also think that even split some part for the British and the rest of it for the Athens will be good way to do it. And keeping the original value of the relic will be the most important thing. I also claim that the Marbles are not just art, but also it is the history of one country. I hope that I could be back to Athens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a very good job explaining your viewpoint. I also felt the same way in that the marbles should return to Greece. The marbles represent Greece's past more significantly than the British. The only history of it that the British really have is buying it off Eglin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the original value outweighs the fact that the British want them in their museum. The people of Greece have always been proud and of their art and history and I feel that by the British not returning them it is just rude knowing how much it means to them.

    ReplyDelete