Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Good Shepherd Sculpture: Ancient Art




The Good Shepherd is a remarkable piece of early ancient history. It is an early Christian sculpture that also relates to the “The Good Shepherd” painting. I have chosen this piece because I find this sculpture to be very interesting and mysterious. When I first saw this piece it made me feel as if the man was at peace and content. I say this because of the way he seems to be standing, in a relaxed matter. The way he's holding the sheep by its legs seems like he it protecting it from any harm and will take care of it.
The composition of the piece is very organized. The three baby sheep around the man seem very close and intrigued by their surroundings. I really like that the sheep are laying so close to the man because its almost as if he is their protector. The detail in the sculpture is nice and realistic. It is easy to specify the coat of the sheep is soft and the man’s attire is baggy. The lines on his cloth make it look “flowy” and possibly worn. The stump and stick are a nice detail like they are outside. The way he is standing and holding on to the stick makes me feel like they’ve been walking for a long time and are exhausted. Or perhaps he comes off as confident and challenging.
The sculpture is made of marble, which is a smooth and gentle texture kind of like the piece represents. I think this texture works well with the sculpture because it shows so much detail. The color and texture work well together. The warm colors and smooth details make it easy to look at. The marble makes me think of something that is delicate, yet strong. I think the man holding the sheep treasures the sheep on its back like it is something fragile. The sheep on his back makes me wonder why he’s carrying this animal that way. “The Good Shepherd” name alone makes me wonder what makes this shepherd so “good”. My theory is when I look at this sculpture I think of how this shepherd would do anything just for his sheep, even carry a “weak” or in pain sheep. I say the animal is weak because of the way its positioned on his shoulders like he is frail and cannot walk anymore. Then I look at the younger sheep lying by his feet and I think, maybe the mother is dying. The man is holding the sheep with one hand, which gives off the energy that he is strong.
This piece is three dimensional and only 19 3/4 x 10 1/16 x 6 1/4 inches. It is small with good equal proportion. The man is standing large but what it seems like, he is resting by the stance of his leg and the stick. The dimensions give the piece a nice contrast with shadows. Everything is symmetrical and easy to identify. The angles are not too dramatic but define each figure with just enough detail. The sculpture is a fairly light color and the shadows help separate the figures. It seems the man is looking away from the viewer, which could easily give off mystery because it is unknown why he is looking in a different direction. It also makes me wonder why the other figures are looking in the same direction. The artistic style definitely makes this sculpture seem as if it were ancient because of the worn marks. Some parts are not as smooth as the others, probably due to how old it is. The sculpture is all the same material and color. The visual interest in this piece is comforting and gives off an innocence feel. This artistic style is an ancient piece also because of the clothes he is wearing. All of the figures are close together and connected. The atmosphere of this piece feels innocent and mysterious.




4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that he might be called the good shepherd because he is protecting and caring for the weak sheep. His stance suggests that he was walking, and perhaps carrying his injured sheep to safety. To me it seems like the lambs around his feet represent that his flock really trusts him to guide and protect them by the way they follow him so closely. I also think that the lines in this sculpture lead the eye to move around and view all of the different details. I start by looking at the man's stick and move up his arm and around the sheep on his back, then down the stump on the other side or back up his other arm and around the sheep again. This really forces me to consider each component of the sculpture and how they identify to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw this sculpture at first, I didn’t know that three sheep are there. But after I read yours, I think it’s really interesting piece! I also curious about why the shepherd is hang on the big sheep. I thought that the big sheep is not able to move about freely, so the sheep might be hanging on him. And I agree that the marble makes the viewer peaceful somehow. I also liked innocent feeling of this sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was looking at this sculpture I was thinking maybe he is looking in a different direction because he is leaving somewhere maybe in search of new land to raise his herd. And the others may be looking back longing for their home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This smooth marble piece of art is very nice. I agree with the other people responding to your work about not noticing all the sheep. I only saw the one he was carrying. Him carrying the sheep makes me think that the sheep was hurt or is saving them from some horrible accident. He looks very powerful and strong by the way he is standing. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete